• ESDR 2012
    ESDR 2012 19-22 September 2012: Venice, Italy

WELCOME TO THE 42ND ANNUAL ESDR MEETING

The ESDR - together with the local organising committee - has assembled an exciting scientific program that will cover the latest developments in cutaneous biology, clinical and experimental dermatology. The official meeting will be preceded by several satellite symposia on the most stimulating aspects of skin research. READ MORE

TWITTER UPDATES

"Could Not Retrieve any Tweets"

Meeting Location
The ESDR 2012 meeting venue is located on Venice Lido.

Palazzo del Casinò, Venice Lido Congress Centre
Lungomare Marconi, 30
30126 Venice Lido
Italy

http://www.veniceconvention.com

Travel Information

From Marco Polo Airport (VCE)

Public Boat Service (Alilaguna)

Turn left after exiting the airport building and take the covered walkway to the boat piers (about 7 minutes). From there you can take the public boat service to Venice Lido or other stops (Murano, St Marks Square etc). The price for a one-way ticket is EUR 13 (EUR 25 return).The duration of the trip is approximately 1 hour.

The red line (Linea Rossa) goes to Venice Lido. The main stop at the Lido is "Santa Maria Elisabetta", where bus connections to all points on the island can be reached. If you wish to go directly to the ESDR meeting venue, please get off at the second Lido stop, i.e., "Lido Casino".

For more information on public transport from the airport, please check the following site:

http://www.alilaguna.it

Private Boat Service (Water Taxi)

Follow the directions given above to reach the taxi office located beside the boat piers. The cost of a taxi to central Venice or the Venice Lido should be EUR 110 for up to six people. As many hotels have their own dock this can be a very convenient way for you to arrive directly at your hotel. A water taxi from the airport will take 20-30 minutes.

From Venice Santa Lucia railway station (vaporetto)

The quickest way is to catch one of the boat lines 51 or 61 every 20 minutes and to get off to Lido stop. The trip is 35 minutes long through Giudecca canal and Saint Marks Basin. Ticket price is EUR 7 (one trip).

From Saint Marks Square (vaporetto)

Every 6 minutes there is a boat leaving for the Lido. You can catch several lines as 1, 2, 52 The trip is 12 minutes long.Ticket price is EUR 7 (one trip). A range of travel cards can also be purchased from ticket offices.

For further information about the vaporetto map, timetable and travel cards visit http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/movinginvenice

Venice Lido Buses (to go to ESDR Meeting Venue)

To reach the Palazzo del Casinò from the Lido water bus stop Santa Maria Elisabetta take the bus Line V (stop at Palazzo del Casinò). The ride takes about ten minutes. Tickets cost EUR 1.30 and can be purchased from the driver or at the ACTV ticket office in Santa Maria Elisabetta.

Welcome Reception

Date: Thursday 20 September 2012, 19-00-21.00

All delegates are invited to join us for the 2012 Welcome Reception which will be held in the meeting venue, the Palazzo del Casino. A hot and cold light buffet will be available as well as a range of beverages.

Social Event

Date: Friday 21 September 2012, 19.30-24.00

Location: Arsenale di Venezia (Venice Arsenal)
Transport: Boats will be provided to take you to the venue and return you to Venice

The 2012 ESDR social event will be held in a spectacular setting - an 800-year old naval warehouse. Set among historic Venetian buildings and overlooking the location of the Venice Biennial, the 2012 social event will be a memorable evening of networking and socialising with new and old friends.

About the Venice Arsenal

The Venetian Arsenal was a complex of state-owned shipyards and armories clustered together. It was responsible for the bulk of Venice's naval power in the Mediterranean during the middle part of the second millennium AD, and was one of the earliest large-scale industrial enterprises in history.

Venice's wealth and power rested in her ability to control trade in the Mediterranean. This would not have been possible without an extremely large navy and merchant force. By 1450, over 3,000 Venetian merchant ships were in operation, both as supply ships for Venetian merchants and as warships for the Venetian navy. This amazingly large amount of ships required constant maintenance and outfitting.

The construction of the Arsenale in its present structure began around 1104, during Venice Republic, when it became the largest industrial complex in Europe of the time, spanning an area of about 45 ha (110 acres). Actually, the Byzantine-style establishment may have existed as early as the 8th century. In 1320 an even larger Arsenale (Arsenale nuovo) was built, where warships and merchant vessels could be both built and maintained. Surrounded by a defensive wall 2 miles long (3.2 km) shielding it from public view and guards protecting its perimeter, the Arsenal, was divided in different areas, each manufacturing a particular ship part or other maritime equipment, such as munitions, ropes, rigging and so on. These parts were then assembled and the ship could sail from the port of Venice. It became an important centre for rope manufacturing and housing for workers were built outside its walls. In the early 16th century, the Arsenale employed up to 16,000 workers and built almost one ship each day: a production line not seen again until the Industrial Revolution.

Within the shipyards new firearms were also developed, from bombards to small arms. The weapons manufactured here were also known for their multi-purpose utility, so much as the new lighter-weight artillery form Arsenale was first used on mobile carriages for field use.

In the late 16th century, the Arsenale designers experimented with larger ships as platforms for heavy naval guns. The most impressive was the galleass, already used against Ottoman Turks. In 1593 Galileo Galilei became an external consultant to the Arsenale, advising military engineers and instrument designers, and helping solving shipbuilders' problems. He was also responsible for creating some major innovations in the production and logistics of the site. As a result of his interactions with the Arsenal, Galileo published a book later in his life addressing a new field of modern science, that concerned with the strength and resistance of materials. This science largely saw its roots in the knowledge of the shipwrights of the Venetian Arsenal.

The Arsenale main gate Porta Magna was built around 1460; in 1687 the two lions were placed at its sides. One of the lions is notable for the runic defacements carved in it by invading Scandinavian mercenaries during the 11th century. Propelled both by sails and oars, it was a floating fortress, with guns mounted on wheeled carriages along the sides. Only a few ones were built due to its slowness in battle.

The Arsenal produced the majority of Venice's maritime trading vessels until the fall of the Republic to Napoleon's conquest of the area in 1797, when significant parts were destroyed. It was then rebuilt to enable its present use as naval base, research centre, exhibition venue, and historic boat preservation centre.

RECENT NEWS

  • 1
  • 2

PLATINUM SPONSORS

 
 

GOLD SPONSORS

 

SILVER SPONSORS

SPONSORS

 
 
 
 
Back to Top